Jeep Comms

CB radio, Ham Radio. There is another option to communications for your Jeep adventures. GMRS or General Mobile Radio service is a Federal license to use Frequencies specifically for GMRS.

From the FCC website. You may apply for a GMRS license if you are 18 years or older and not a representative of a foreign government. If you receive a license, any family member, regardless of age, can operate GMRS stations and units within the licensed system. There are 30 GMRS channels with a bandwidth of 25 kHz (20 KHz authorized bandwidth) or 12.5 kHz. You can expect a communications range of five to twenty-five miles.

Here is a great link to take the steps to get your GMRS license Click here for info. The cost of the license is $70 and is good for 10 years. It takes a couple of days for the FCC to process your license. You will receive an email with your call sign.

The radio you will have to get is a GMRS radio. You will not be able to use a Ham radio. They operate on different frequencies. I have the btech GMRS radio available at this link.

After you get your license be sure to look up the procedures for making contacts with your GMRS radio. If you have any questions ask in the comments.

Leave a Reply